Since I'm one of those people who like to research everything...I discovered some interesting facts about hot air balloons:
- The first passengers of a hot air balloon ride consisted of a sheep, duck & rooster. They lasted in air for a total of 15 minutes before crashing into the ground. (how cruel)
- It is the oldest successful human-carrying flight technology.
- Accidents are rare. (good to know)
- Still, a parachute is placed right at the top of each hot air balloon.
- In 1999, Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones made the first around the world flight by a hot-air balloon. Their balloon stayed aloft through the entire trip without refueling. (crazy!)
- Ballooning is not a silent sport. There are some quiet moments, but those burners are noisy.
- Balloonists dress like hikers: pants, sturdy flat shoes and layers of shirt, sweater, jacket, for example.